Yes, our Phoenix Valley and Mesa do have areas that can AND will flood!
Arizona Homeowners - Do you need flood insurance? Do you know if you live in a flood hazard area?
Years ago, before the newer communities began setting up those retention basins - you know - the ones that fill with water during the monsoon or rainy seasons, the water would flood homes and backyards, etc. As a child growing up in Phoenix, I knew the monsoons were here when the wind would blow and the dust would smell like rain. Fortunately, the home I lived in was not in a flood area. We had berms around our property, and my dad irrigated our yards, and we had no flooding problems!
BUT, certain areas of our valley are still in a flood zone. The water has to go somewhere, and since we are so flat, it runs from the higher areas down to the lower areas. Just a FEW tips for those who DO live in a flood zone:
- Make an itemized list of personal property and take pictures of your home to assist your insurance adjuster in settling claims;
- keep your insurance policies, list of personal property and pictures in a safe place;
- know the name, phone number and location of your insurance agent;
- identify the safest route from your home to high ground in case you have to evacuate in a hurry and keep a working portable radio and flashlight on hand;
- have sandbags and other materials readily available to use for protection if you live in a frequently flooded area
If you are not sure, and/or you now live in an older area of Phoenix or Mesa, call the Street Transportation Department's flood plain management section at: 602.262-4960. If you do live in a flood zone, you will need to make sure you have flood insurance!
Mesa, Arizona Real Estate. Call me at: 480.216-3334 for information on purchasing or selling a home in Mesa, Arizona or surrounding towns. OR email me: Teri@TeriEllis.com. Feel free to visit one of my websites: HomesAzRE.com, MoveToMesaAz.com or MoveToSunnyAz.com. Or stop by my blogs at: MesaAzRealEstateVoice; or Phoenix Valley Real Estate Blog